Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Yarn and The Weepies

Ever since my recent aspiration to put away the TV from my eyes for the next 40-days, I have begun to look for new ways to preoccupy myself as I sit and listen to the same music over and over. I had this novel idea that I would take up knitting. I thought it would be a great way for me to sit with my family over the holidays and steer clear from the television. No It's a Wonderful Life or A Christmas Story for me this year.

So, I ran down to Hobby Lobby and quickly figured out that knitting is quite the past time. They have every shade of yarn imaginable and needles of all colors, weights and lengths. I did pick myself up a beginner's manual on the art of good ol' knitting and as I walked out of the store I felt proud of the lovely shade of dark teal green I selected, as well as the blue-grey needles. Wow, and just like that my knitting career was about to begin.

What I was not proud of was my knitting start. I sat patiently in my comfy leather chair and tried over and over to master the slip knot demonstrated in my trusty manual. Sometimes I did well, sometimes I missed entirely. I did manage to "cast on" (I feel so cool just saying that), and I was able to knit, well, not much of anything really. I finally got sleepy and gave up for the night. I think I need someone to help...as much as I hate to say that. Christin, is this in your realm of crafty craftiness?

It's a cold one today. Have a mentioned that I love the summers? The thunder is rumbling overhead right now and the rain falls on top of this barn that I call my office. I wish, instead, that I was in my sweatshirt and legwarmers chilling in my dimly lit house, letting The Weepies charming lyrics and unaffected music permeate my little heart. And if I know me, I would repeat the song Take it From Me over and over and over. If only the rain will press on until Saturday morning, then maybe this daydream will come true...




The WeepiesTake It From Me

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How may people have felt cool using knitting lingo?..... you may not like the answer

Brighter Sunshine said...

omg! i tried my knack at crocheting when i had my knee surgery and was immobile (about the time we met!). it's WAY too hard to learn on your own for sure.. i gave up too - we need to go find some grannies to teach us!

anyways... i ended up sewing mr. man out of some cloth that day (you should check out the pics on my facebook once you get back on there!)

ps. i think the yarn section is pretty too.

pss. knitting lingo is the bomb... i think you should start using it more.... definitely cool in my book. ;)

Larry Ray said...

Do you think you could knit carpet back together?
Just wondering...

The Clem Family said...

You should try cross stitching if the kitting thing doesn't work. That is my dorky hobby, but it is a great stress reliever. Don't give up and good luck!