Sunday, October 21, 2007

Thursday - Round 2

Okay, so I am sure that many of you read about the debacle of a couple Thursday's past. But the drama continued this last Thursday. Read on...

I have class on Thursday nights and Mel is such an awesome friend that she takes Enzo every Thursday so Enzo can spend time with their lab, Maggie rather than be locked up in a crate. Well, this past Thursday I was to give a presentation for my mid-term project. I am on my way out to class and in almost the exact same spot as the week before, I get a call from Mel saying that Enzo had jumped the fence right in front of her and Chris and that only being 20 seconds behind him, he was no where to be found. She said that he put his tiny feet on a cinder block and then off he went.

I tried to call Amberton to talk to my professor but no luck. All the phones where down. I decide to journey on to class and try to get through the presentation but by the time I made to campus and Enzo had still not been found, I looked lovely with a tear-stained face. Not ideal for presenting. My professor was cool and told me to head out in search of my dog. Thank you, Lord! I felt so silly...like I was using the excuse "my dog ate my paper".

I got back in the car and headed back to Coppell. I kept calling Mel to check on the status to no avail. Now I was really freaking out. I called my dad and he started the commute to Coppell to help me hunt down the dog. For those of you that don't know Enzo, he is super skittish and we thought he surely had to be hiding in a bush because of all the people out yelling his name and all cars driving though the neighborhood. It felt like we searched every bush in Meadow Glen.

It started to get dark...and cold. My dog has no body fat and hardly any hair. I knew he was going to be cold and even more scared. At one point, it was me, my dad, my mom, Mel and Chris, and Holly and JM looking for Enzo. Did I mention I have awesome friends and family? We looked high and low. I was honestly in shock that we had not had any luck yet. Finally, we had to decide to stop looking. It was heartbreaking. Kari came and stayed the night with me at Mel's. I was so thankful for that. She brought me pj's and all that good stuff. We decided to lay a blanket, my clothes, one of his toys and some food out front by the door. We heard that if I left some clothes then he could smell them and journey back.

I finally was able to fall asleep and then at 2am I woke up and was just so hopeful that Enzo would be there by the front door. I rushed to the door and instantly looked outside to the little corner to the left. He wasn't there. I was brokenhearted all over again. Then at 6am, me, Mel and Kari got up to go print flyers. We went up to the office and made 150 flyers. We posted them as fast as we could. We plastered Mel's neighborhood. Did I mention that our office had staff retreat Friday morning and we only had a couple hours to get all our work done? Just great. So after we hung flyers everywhere and stuffed them in mailboxes we headed the office as is. We looked beautiful, let me tell ya.

I tried to focus as best I could. I tried not to look at his dog bed in the office or his chew toys or dog bowls. I tried to just get things done. I got a call about an hour into work from a lady that had seen a "found sign". To bad it was for a black and white dog. Boo. Then came the call we had all been praying for!

A lady called and said that she had Enzo. She said that she had been driving her son to school and she could not figure out why everyone was driving so slow on Beltline. Finally, she was able to see the cause. Enzo was running down the street in Friday morning traffic. She said he looked terrified. She stopped her van and tried to corner him. Finally he came to her. I was so excited. I don't think I have smiled that big in so long...I was glowing! All the girls in the office were so excited too. Me, Kari and Mel loaded up in the car to get my baby. He was at the intersection of Beltline and MacArthur. Very far from home. He certainly was not hiding in bushes.

Enzo is home safe and sound. Still eating a ton for a little guy but is all caught up on sleep now. I am so thankful to all the people who knew how important Enzo is to my life and took this so seriously. They searched for him without question, just like they would if it were my child. I know he's just a dog but he's who I pour out so much of my love too. Thanks to the woman who took time to stop and return Enzy to his home. I want to be a woman that is that thoughtful. And I praise the One who delights in mercy.
Welcome home Enzo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, let me tell you about this wonderful invention my aunt and uncle found. there is this gps microchip that they had put in cabo, their "outrageously expensive" dog. She tends to get out often and so they gave it a try...the next time she got out they called the vet and they told them right where to find her. it is just a shot they give to the puppy right under the skin! look into it, i'd hate for enzo to get out and be on beltline again!!!

(love, ashley)

Anonymous said...

Ok i posted a comment about a week ago but i guess it didnt work. So here it goes again. Enzo is safe! Now he has a legitimate reason to be afraid of everyone and everything.

-Brent

Kristi Stacy said...

Thank you so much for my treat in the mailbox. I am very glad that Enzo made it home safe to you. Give him a little hug for me, he is so sweet.
Praise God for answered prayers!

In Him,
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Enzo รจ un cane bello!