Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Last Night in Dallas


Today is the last full day for the Hawkins family to live in D-town. As I type they are probably packing up mounds of boxes and getting anxious about their move to Bryan, Texas. While I am excited about the Lord's plan for them there, I am selfishly sad to know that they will be so far away.

The Hawkins' have a special, special place in my heart. The Lord used Beth to draw me close to Him. She never judged me and all of these worldly things that were going on in my life. She accepted my life "as is" and loved me wholly. She prayed for me and wrote my name down among those who needed Him in her prayer journal. And years later, she was able to mail me a few of those pages so that I could see the Lord's faithfulness in answering those prayers. She never pushed. She never acted as if I had all this work to do to be more like her, or rather Him. She just rode around with me on this old dusty bev cart, and listened to my stories of misery. And I listened to her stories of joy and life. And not only did I listen, I witnessed it. I could see that there was something different about her.

That's also where Grant comes in. Grant was her boyfriend at the time and they were one of the first Christian couples that I ever was able to spend time with. I watched them intensely and was amazed at how much they trusted each other and cared for one another. It made me long for something that looked similar. Grant is an amazing man, and now husband and father. It has been a joy to be in their home and learn from them.

And Beth, more than any person I know, tells me often to wait for someone that I can completely be myself with. Because that is the only way that marriage truly works. I can sit in their home and she can be in a sweatshirt, hair thrown up, no make-up and tell me that if she looked like that for the rest of her days, Grant would love her the same. And that is also the love of Christ.

Grant and Beth, I hope you know how much I truly love you and am forever grateful for who you have been in my life. Homes may move and change may swirl about, but this love that I have for your family will never be uprooted.

I pray that Bryan is a rich place for your family to grow. Can't wait for my first weekend visit.

1 comments:

P Rob said...

There was no rust in that post .... I'm glad to see your back. I hope to see you this weekend. (maybe for my belated birthday gift)