Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Once

Last night I had nothing to do, which was so nice. And I have been wanting to see Once for months now, so I saw that as my opportunity and jumped on it to pick up the film for a lazy movie night.

Kari was home last night too, so we were excited about just soaking up this movie with the windows open. And then our precious DVD player decided that is could not work on the spot. Apparently it needs advancded notice or something. Ugh.

We tried to watch a little TV but Mondays are a pathetic TV night, leaving our options up to Dance War, Deal or No Deal and American Gladiator. I was actually kind of excited about the new Gladiators show because I loved it when I was a little girl. However, seeing that the Hulk is the host and the actual gladiators are fed these cheesy one-liners, I decided to turn off the television all together. Kari went to her room to read and that was that.

I have this tiny little DVD player that I keep in the guest room, so I finally chose to bust it out and watch Once just sitting on my bed. I curled up with Enzo and he slept in my lap while I enjoyed every minute of this movie and amazing soundtrack (which I purchased last week). I highly recommend this film, for what my opinion is worth. It is beautifully shot, and the characters are quirky and real.

In my favorite song from the movie, Falling Slowly, I am continually touched by the sweet words:
Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice
You have a choice

It continually makes me think of the scripture, Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near - Isaiah 55:6, when I hear this chorus. I think about how we still have the time, the choice to turn to Him and be loved by Him. And how there is no greater rising of hope within us when our boat is sinking, which it so often is, than that of Christ.

He is our home.

And the choice is ours.

1 comments:

Larry Ray said...

i loved this one a lot. You didn't tell me about the little dvd player. How fun and simple of a night with your doggy in bed, while 4 inches of screen rolled credits.