Thursday, February 14, 2008

One Year Ago...

I was anxiously awaiting my very own special date night with Nathan Herzog. He was only a friend, but one of the best. I had been through a bad break-up and Nate knew just how to light up my life, without even knowing what he was doing. He knew how to light up everyone's life. His smile alone was rapidly infectious.

I say "knew", because we lost Nate last year, only 12 days after my blessed Valentine's date with him. But more on that to come. Let's focus on our day of love, shall we?

Nate came to my tiny home on Russell, and brought a peach rose for me and my two roommates. He was always a gentleman. We jumped into his 4-runner and went heading down the tollway with no idea of where we would end up. We had no reservation so it was up to us to find somewhere worth spending the evening. We ended up at Mercy Wine Bar and they luckily had room for us. The hostess took us to the back of the small bar and sat us down in this tiny, tiny bench seat that was covered with rose petals, a miniature table, again covered in rose petals and candles and then there were sheer drapes that fell elegantly to the floor. We sat down uncomfortably and held our laughter just until the hostess was out of sight. The bench was so tiny that our legs would touch no matter how we arranged ourselves. And the romance....it was just invading this dear friendship of ours. Oh, that laugh was a sweet one.

We quickly asked the server if we could just move to a cocktail table at the bar. We could...whew. We drank lots of red wine and gobbled down perfectly seasoned calamari. We talked about so much, including where Nate was with our Lord. He expressed how much He loved Jesus and just wanted to know Him more. He talked about the struggle that comes with the discipline of being in the Word and I quickly nodded my head in agreement, amen. After Mercy, we walked the block down to Blue Mesa and enjoyed a quick Blue Margarita before calling it a night. As I closed the door after saying goodnight to my sweet friend and prepared for bed, I thanked the One who gave him to me in the first place. I was so utterly thankful to know him and be considered one of his friends.

It was a Valentine's that tops the charts for so many reasons. It was sacred, this I know. I feel blessed, incredibly incredibly blessed, to have spent Nate's last Valentine's Day with him. It is a memory that I will forever cherish. And so today, as we celebrate this Day of Amore, I recognize that Nate now spends eternity with Amore. So though there is a sting of pain and loss, I know that Nate would say that he has the better end of the deal. And in knowing that, I will celebrate tonight by loving on my friends and family. I will laugh, smile and make tender, fragile memories with these people that I cherish so dearly. That is exactly what Nathan would want for us.


And so with a heart that overflows...

4 comments:

palzo33 said...

I cried reading that...I'm not exactly sure why yet other than the obvious, but I know I really enjoyed it and appreciate the time you took to write it. It was just different. It was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I cried reading it too...sure do miss him. We have some great memories though and I too feel blessed that the Lord gave us time with him. That was a great season. Love you so much sister and I sure do enjoy walking through life with you...

Rachel said...

Thank you for that Courtney. I think of Nate so often and my thoughts have been magnified ever since Matt's surprise party. Seeing his parents was so difficult for me. At one point I walked out on the front porch and Nate's mother was sitting down in Indian style next to Caleb. I asked how everything was going and Peggy replied, "We're just getting to know each other." I know I pictured Caleb being Nate in that moment, so I can only assume Peggy wished that Caleb was for just a moment. A brief passing moment. Hopefully Caleb did Nate justice, or just maybe made Peggy smile. Thanks again for blessing us with that precious memory.

NWH said...

You did a wonderful job at captivating a small fragment of the huge personality Nate had and still has in our memory. Love you Courtney for helping me to remember!